Optomap Retinal Exam
Did you know that the retina, which is in the back of the eye, is the only place in the body where blood vessels can be seen directly?
In addition to eye conditions, other diseases and conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes can be seen in the retina. Early signs of these conditions can appear in the retina before you notice any changes to your vision or feel any pain, and for this reason, a thorough examination of the retina is important.
We have technology in our practice called Optomap ultra-widefield retinal imaging, which is a device that takes a digital image of the retina. Getting an Optomap image is fast, painless, and comfortable. Nothing touches your eye at any time. To have the exam, you simply look into the device one eye at a time and a bright flash of light will occur to let you and the technician know that a picture of your retina has been taken.
Benefits of Optomap Retinal Exam:
- A scan to confirm a healthy eye or detect the presence of disease.
- Depending on what the doctor observes in the image of the retina, dilation of the eyes may not be necessary.
- An overview or map of the retina, giving your eye doctor a more detailed view than he can achieve by other means.
- The opportunity for you to view and discuss the Optomap images of your eye with your doctor at the time of your exam.
- A permanent record for your medical file, enabling your optometrist to make important comparisons if potential problems show themselves at a future examination.